Sunday, April 8, 2012

Living The Simple Life



“Where I Lived and What I Lived For” by Henry David Thoreau (pp. 403-409 50 Essay)

In The Passage “Where I Lived, and What I Lived For” Author Henry David Thoreau, tells the tale of his journey living the simple life deep in the woods of Walden Pond. His reason for doing this was to get away from what was not life, and truly live what was life. “Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity is the main way Thoreau wants to live his life. He wanted to minimize his affairs down to a few, and suck all the marrow from life. Thoreau also doesn’t like main stream news, sending letters, and news papers. He says that they are useless information and contain so much drama, and that if you here it once whats the point in hearing it again. Thoreau simply wanted to be independent and not have to live his day to day within a pattern of everyone else.

In our world today there are there are so many people who rely on social media and other technologies to live a day to day life, but there are a hand full of people that want to just drop this, and live a simple life just like Thoreau. For some this seems like paradise well for others its insanity. I think the technologies in social media are very addicting and may have a permanent grasp on many Americans today. 

For me I'm starting to fall into this pattern were I am becoming more and more obsessed with products of social media especially Facebook. I would start doing my homework, and before you know it, I would be on and searching something on Facebook. For me Facebook is a great tool to have it allows me to stay in the loop of events and things that are going on. but every now and then I try to set down media and my electronics and step back and try to apriciate the beautey in thw world just like Thoreau did.

No comments:

Post a Comment