Thursday, April 5, 2012

VIDEO GAMES VS. READING

"Games" by Steven Johnson (pp. 196-202 in 50 Essay)

In the Short Essay "Games", written by Steven Johnson, Johnson talks about the comparison between video games and reading. While most people would think reading is more important then video games. Johnson on the other hand defends that video games may be more suited for youth then reading. Johnson states that reading may isolate children, doesn’t get them active, and doesn’t allow them to be social. Where as playing video games will allow children to be up and moving, (WII and Kenict) strategizeing/puzzle solving, and being social with friends. Even though he is for video games Johnson still wants kids to read. Johnson States that being literate in reading is a key factor when landing a important high paying career.

Overall I think both reading and video games have taken major advances towards social media. Video games can now be played with motion sencory, on small hand helds, and played with people online. Reading too has made it's advances. Most Paper back books have been replaced by electronic copies on I-phones and kindlles. There are also discussion groups online for both reading and video games that allow people to connect and share there thought and feeling either about the game or the book.

Growing up I participated in both reading and playing video games. even though the two of them are two tottally different activities, i was able to apriciate both of them during my life. Reading to me is very relaxing and allows me to have time to myself to learn at my own pace. I currently have a book list of all these books that I want to read and each time I get done a book I am excited to start a new one so I can learn more. The thing I like about video games is the problem solving, adventures, and just running around having a good time. Even though I don't own a system any more me and my friends still like to get together and have a little friendly competition with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment